Local competition at BYU
The BYU local competition is being sponsored by the BYU Department of Linguistics. BYU has large and active linguistics programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels. For more information, see our department website here.
- Where: The competition will be held on
January 23, 2020 in the Foreign Language
Activity Commons (room B003) in the
basement of the Joseph F. Smith Building (JFSB) at BYU.
Parking instructions will be sent to registered participants.
- When: The test itself will take place
between 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Participants will need to arrive by 9:30 a.m.
to have time to check in, get seated, etc.
- Bring: your own black-ink pen
and pencils; we will supply paper. No calculators, cell phones, or
any other electronic devices are allowed; their use will be grounds
- Light snacks are permissible, but please be considerate: no
"noisy" or "smelly" foods. Punch or soda containing red dye are
not allowed. We will supply some light refreshments as well.
- In accordance with BYU policy, no alcohol, tobacco, tea, or
coffee are allowed, and dress and behavior must be appropriate
- Contestants arriving late may still participate, though no
time extensions will be granted and instructions/announcements
may not be repeated (so as not to disturb the test).
- If you have special needs, please notify us as soon as possible and we will try to accommodate you.
- We will allow walk-in registration for students who arrive at the test before 9:30 a.m.
- Light snacks are permissible, but please be considerate: no "noisy" or "smelly" foods. Punch or soda containing red dye are not allowed. We will supply some light refreshments as well.